August 02, 2006

.ti er’uoY !gaT


Not anymore!

The Curt Jester tagged me with a meme. Memes remind me of chain letters. At least there is neither a curse attached to breaking a meme, nor an empty promise of blessings for passing it on. No superstition!


ONE BOOK THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE
I can't answer that in black and white. However, once I awakened to my personal faith during my senior year in high school, I began to read Wuerl’s The Teaching of Christ, and I read it once a year throughout university and my initial years in the monastery. The book is simply an adult catechism. Reading it several times gave me a comprehensive foundation for my later study of theology and spirituality. The letter of Pope John Paul II, "The Christian Meaning of Human Suffering", has also been a strong influence on my outlook.

ONE BOOK THAT YOU’VE READ MORE THAN ONCE
Again, The Teaching of Christ and "The Christian Meaning of Human Suffering".

ONE BOOK YOU’D WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND
The Holy Gospel according to John.

ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU LAUGH
Matthew Fox’s laughable (ridiculous) On Becoming a Musical, Mystical Bear: Spirituality American Style.

ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY
George Weigel’s Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II. I read it a few years before the Pope died. At times while reading it, I wept realizing both how much I cared for Pope John Paul II and that I would mourn his eventual death.

ONE BOOK THAT YOU WISH HAD BEEN WRITTEN
Theodicy: The Final Answer, by God.

ONE BOOK THAT YOU WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN
A. C. Kinsey’s Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. The book has a “younger sibling”, Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Both books are founded in part on Kinsey’s study of prison inmates and his own sexual activities— all of that providing invalid “supports” for Kinsey’s claims about human sexuality. The two books together are commonly called “The Kinsey Reports”. Unfortunately, they are the founding charter of our culture’s distorted sexual perspectives.

ONE BOOK YOU’RE CURRENTLY READING
Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger’s On the Way to Jesus Christ.

ONE BOOK YOU’VE BEEN MEANING TO READ
Karol Józef Wojtyła’s The Way to Christ: Spiritual Exercises.

TAG FIVE OTHERS
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I would have others not tag me. I shall not tag others ... for the time being.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it interesting that you listed Fox's On Becoming a Musical Mystical Bear: Spirituality American Style as a book that made you laugh. In the late 70's and early 80's I hung out with charismatics a lot and that was a book that almost all of them had in their houses. The associate pastor (at that time) at St. [X Anonymous] was Fr. [Y Anonymous], and he boasted that he started to write a book about his view of spirituality, but found Fox's book had already stated the same thing— or something to that effect. Fr. [Y Anonymous], as you may have heard, ditched the priesthood to marry and scandalized [Z Anonymous] parish.

I tried reading a bit of the book and found it terribly dull. Then again, I was pretty dull myself.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Mac McLernon said...

I was about to apologise for not having spotted the comment about not wanting to be tagged already, and then noticed that I tagged you before you posted your book list...
:-)

...but sorry anyway!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

No apology neeeded

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.