October 25, 2006

For his son, for his wife, and for him.

Dear Blogviewers,


I have received a request this morning.

Father,


My 19 year-old son has been suffering from some baffling symptoms for the past two weeks. Even after a week's hospitalization, the doctors still could not pinpoint his malady. Late last night one of his doctors called with the results of his lymph biopsy and told us W. has a non-hodgkins lymphoma. We don't meet with an oncologist until tomorrow, but just the prospect of the suffering that W. will have to endure for his treatment is painful for the wifey and I.

We already know more than average folk about suffering. J. (the aforementioned wifey) was diagnosed with MS in 1993 and is severely debilitated by it. She has had a great amount of damage done to her cognitive abilities, and this type of thing is extremely difficult for her to handle.

Anyway, I'm bugging every priest I know to request prayer for W. and J.

thanks,


- B.

Blogviewers, please join me in offering the opening prayer from the Mass for the Sick.

Father,
you Son accepted our sufferings
to teach us the virtue of patience in human illness.
Hear the prayers we offer for our sick brothers and sisters.
May all who suffer pain, illness or disease
realize that they are chosen to be saints,
and know that they are joined to Christ
in his suffering for the salvation of the world.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Fraternally yours in Christ and his Church,


Fr. Stephanos, O.S.B.


6 Comments:

Blogger beez said...

Thanks, Father. I love that prayer and it is so true, isn't it?

I'm not asking for suffering, but I gratefully accept anything God chooses to give me, knowing that through it I can bind myself more deeply to the Cross and unite myself to God who is my Savior.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous tara said...

I'm praying with you Father.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Prayers going up!
Especially to Saint Peregrine!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

Praying Father!!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous woHot said...

Will pray Father. I'm a believer in that prayer played a part in the cure and treatment of my cancer last year. Also thank you for the document on this site intitled The Christian Meaning of Human Suffering. After reading it, I have a better understanding and acceptance of the suffering that goes on in this world. Col. 1:24 is a Bible passage that should be studied and discussed much more than it is.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous woHot said...

I recently read the following quote by Pope John Paul II: He stated that suffering seems "essential to the nature of man." It is not random, it is not simply a matter of accident, and it is not avoidable. Suffering gives us a point in time in which "man is in a certain sense 'destined' to go beyond himself." With suffering comes always the opportunity "for rebuilding goodness in the [one] who suffers."

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.