October 26, 2006

Medical studies, college baseball, theater, soap opera, and finally serving as a priest and physician in the Order of St. Camillus.

Father Scott Binet, O.S.C., says:
celebrating Mass is his "greatest joy." He is proud to wear his clerical garb and large, red cross around his neck that identifies as him a Camillian priest.

But it isn't being a priest or doctor that he most identifies with.

"My primary identity since I am a religious is that I am a member of the Order of St. Camillus. I exercise being a Camillian by being a priest and a doctor. I can serve those who are sick spiritually as a priest. I can serve the sick physically as a physician. ... I am always a priest and I am always a doctor.
[From an online article in “Arkansas Catholic.”]
- - - -

Monk on a tangent.

As a member of a religious order and as a priest, I will make one observation: although the red cross pendant may be part of the habit of Fr. Scott's religious order, the Order of St. Camillus, it should be worn underneath his alb (which is itself worn under the chasuble).

Even a bishop is required to keep his pectoral cross under the chasuble, but on top of the alb. You may see bishops at times with their pectoral crosses displayed on top of the chasuble at Mass. That is a contradiction of what is actually spelled out by Church guidelines.

Another contradiction of actual Church directives: wearing the stole on top of the chasuble instead of under it.

The order in which priestly vestments are to be put on over the alb.
1. Stole (and, for a bishop, the pectoral cross)
2. Chasuble

Several years ago, I substituted for a priest at Sunday Mass. The sacristan had been a sacristan at several parishes for a total of thirty years, but he told me I was the first priest he had ever seen wearing the stole under the chasuble.

When I arrived at my parish two and a half years ago, the altar servers were wearing crosses on a cord around the neck on top of their albs. I pointed out at one of our liturgy meetings that only a bishop wears a cross as part of his liturgical vesture. So we ended the practice of having the servers wear crosses.

Okay-- enough from me!

Go read the article about Fr. Scott Binet, O.S.C.
Click HERE for it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Fr. S, when I was an altar server, I briefly was a member of the Guild of St. Stephen and we had the medal common to guild members, which we wore over everything else on a red cord; it has no semblance of a cross on it. But I have also seen chanting choir members in full vestment wearing large crosses over all. Does that restriction apply to all these?

1:58 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

An altar server should wear a surplice or an alb, and should not wear anything else over that (except for the humeral veil used when handling the miter or crozier of a bishop).

A choir using albs or surplices should not wear anything over those.

If the choir is not using albs or surplices, it doesn't matter if they wear a cross or medal.

If an extraordinary minister of communion is vested in an alb or surplice, he should not wear anything over that.

7:00 AM  
Blogger puella said...

When I was an altar server in the UK I was also a member of the Guild and read a bit of its history. I understood from that that permission had to be obtained from Rome (the Guild, or Archconfraternity rather, was founded in the early 20thC I think) for the members to wear the medal.

The medal has a chi rho surrounded by the Guild's motto: cui servire regnare est (if I've got my Latin right). There are three different types of medal - bronze, silver and gold - corresponding to how long the server has been a member of the guild and a dedicated server.

I'm not certain but I don't think there are many such organisations outside of the UK.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

That's true, I was in the UK. I was not aware of the special permission. I had the bronze medal for two years while I was there.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Father Stephanos, "you're sooooo rigid"! ;-)

Don't you know that the Instauratio generalis missalis romani 2000 is more "authentically" translated as the "General Suggestions to the Roman Missal"?

In all seriousness, however, you're "right on the money" – not that anyone's paying attention, however.

But: "An altar server should wear a surplice or an alb, and should not wear anything else over that (except for the humeral veil used when handling the miter or crozier of a bishop)."

"Humeral veil"?

I thought it was a vimpa.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

Perhaps "vimpa" may be it's proper name.
In function and form though, it's still "humeral" and still a "veil" in that it covers the "humerus"-- shoulder or shoulder bone.
I've heard seminarians give the thing a rude nickname.

I think "vimpa" is also the Latin name for the white linen piece that covers a nun's throat and collar-- that is if she is rigid enough to wear a habit and veil.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.