November 09, 2006

November 9: The Feast of the Anniversary of the Dedication of the Pope's Cathedral

It is not St. Peter's Basilica. Rather, it is the Lateran Basilica, whose full formal title is:
Archbasilica of the Most Holy Savior and Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist at the Lateran.

Just as a Christian may receive a saint's name, but is baptized in the NAME of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, so a church may receive a saint's name, but is dedicated to GOD.

The anniversary of the dedication of a church is liturgically a feast of the Lord. The Church is the Body of Christ, and the physical church building is an architectural sign and presence of Christ. For that reason the walls of a church are chrismated, anointed with Sacred Chrism-- "christed"-- like an altar and a priest. That is why November 9 is always observed as the Feast of the Dedication of St. John-- "day of the Lord"-- even when it falls on a Sunday.

See my homily for the occasion.
Click HERE for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous tara said...

I visited the Lateran Basilica with my pagan husband October, 2005. As you walk through the building, the marble floors well-worn from the many visitors, you are stuck with the most Holy feeling. It almost feels like an electrical buzz--very hard to describe. The thought that Pope's and saints once walked on the same pathways fills one with awe! The visit was so overwhelming I felt at times as though I could, "pass out" from the intensity of the sacred. I was in the most beautiful "altered state" my heart ached to stay when we had to leave.
After my husband and I returned home from Rome, my husband joined the RCIA and became Catholic this Easter. Visiting the Lateran Basilica was a beautiful taste of Heaven on earth.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Bob Farrell said...

Holy Smackarola!!!

Check out this blog and notice the seating!!!!

http://gashwingomes.blogspot.com/

I am disappointed.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.