February 27, 2007

Shock! God's forgiveness is CONDITIONAL ... and the Lord will send you to hell for being mindless and forgetful.

God's forgiveness is CONDITIONAL? That is what he affirms in the Holy Gospel for today's Mass, Mathew 6:7-15.
For IF you forgive men their trespasses,
your heavenly Father also will forgive you;
but IF you do NOT forgive men their trespasses,
NEITHER will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Furthermore, you don't need to anything at all to earn a place in hell. Just do nothing, and the Lord will send you there. See the Holy Gospel for yesterday's Mass, Matthew 25:31-46.
Then he will say to those at his left hand,
"Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;
for I was hungry and you gave me no food,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was a stranger and you did not welcome me,
naked and you did not clothe me,
sick and in prison and you did not visit me."
Then they ... will answer,
"Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison,
and did not minister to you?"
Then he will answer them,
"Truly, I say to you,
as you did it not to one of the least of these,
you did it not to me."
And they will go away into eternal punishment.


6 Comments:

Anonymous J. said...

Convicting and a very good reminder. The person I have the most difficulty forgiving is a certain sibling who tends to be rather manipulative. I love her, but I really don't like her. Must keep trying.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

Hmm ... that gives me an inspiration for my next blog post.

10:05 AM  
Blogger 4HisChurch said...

Wow. As someone who is often "mindless and forgetful", I'm freaking out now.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

That's "mindless and forgetful" toward one who is "hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison".

Not simply general mindlessness or general forgetfulness.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

In this Gospel the Lord is holding us eternally accountable for practicing
The Corporal Works of Mercy.

10:51 AM  
Blogger 4HisChurch said...

Thanks for the clarification. Still unsettling, though--which was, perhaps, our Lord's intention!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.