April 02, 2009

B-16 gang hand sign

[I posted this two years ago, April 16, 2007. A new comment has just come in.]



At the oath-taking ceremony of new Swiss Guards, the Chaplain of the Guard gives a solemn reading of the oath.
I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honorably serve the Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals whenever the See is vacant. Furthermore, I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors, respect, fidelity and obedience. This I swear. May God and our Holy Patrons assist me!
Then a recruit’s name is called, and that recruit steps forward alone. With his left hand he grasps the Swiss Guard flag, holding up his right hand with the thumb and next two fingers open, as a symbol of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and he confirms the oath:
I, [Name], swear I will observe faithfully, loyally and honorably all that has now been read out to me. May God and his saints assist me!


7 Comments:

Blogger Stu said...

I truly wish I could be a Swiss Guard.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Bob Farrell said...

Me too, except that all my friends would make fun of my pants.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kasia said...

Hey, I wouldn't dare make fun of a Swiss Guard's pants. They can mess you up!!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger RobK said...

I love the image, Father. Did you take the picture?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

I did not take the picture. Actually I STOLE IT off the blog of one of the Catholic Dads or some other member of the Lord's Holy Sheepfold.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kasia said...

Tsk tsk, Father - don't you have to go to Confession now? ;-)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Philip Gerard Johnson said...

Excellent! Thanks!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.