April 01, 2007

Behold the man!

Crucify him! Crucify!

The photograph shows James Caviezel as Jesus standing before Pilate in "The Passion of the Christ."

During the proclamation of the Gospel on Palm Sunday and on Good Friday, the Church offers the possibility of having the congregation join the priest in reading aloud the Gospel that includes the trial of Jesus.

In doing so, the congregation ends up calling for the death of Jesus.

Crucify him!
Crucify him!


It is a "Eucharistic" moment.

In choosing to eat vegetables and meat, we choose to have plants and animals die for us.

In choosing to eat and drink the Eucharistic Body and Blood of Christ, we choose to have him die for us.

Be crucified, Lord Jesus Christ!
Die for me!

A man agrees that death shall be the penalty
if he sins against any covenant he has chosen to enter.

Instead,
by virtue of the New and Everlasting Covenant in your Blood,
you, O Lord, have sworn to die for my sins against you.

That is infinitely unfitting.
Of that I am wholly unworthy.

Yet, you have given your word.
So it has come to pass.

In daring to eat your Body and drink your Blood,
I am sworn to live for you and to die for you.

Take my life,
as I now take yours!

Be crucified, Lord Jesus Christ!
Die for me!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.