April 13, 2007

… cloister, monastery, nun, monk, hermit, solitude, silence, prayer, worship, community, work…

Why do it?

Why spend your life enclosed in a monastery?

Why spend a solid part of each day in ritual worship and personal prayer?

A few days ago I blogged about the Carthusian order depicted in the documentary, “Into Great Silence.”

I commented:
Basically everyone on earth works out some sort of living, eats, sleeps, and then always eventually dies.

The Carthusians have “streamlined” the same journey (without shortening it), but have “voluminously” focused the journey on its inevitable end: every single soul shall stand face to face with God.
Every single soul.

What are you doing to get ready?


6 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

It is so amazing to think that the contemplative orders are praying for the rest of us. I mean, how cool is that!

10:19 AM  
Blogger DilexitPrior said...

I know that I will forever be grateful for the many prayers of those religious who are praying for us day and night. They not only are praying for us but they also are praying on behalf of us as they pray on behalf of all the Church. Isn't that awesome?! I just love the communion of saints!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

You are "in Christ" and so every Catholic at Mass is a representative of the entire human race

11:54 AM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Their prayers sustain us in a world full of distraction. I can see how the contemplative orders are powerhouses. We should have at least one monastery in every city.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

Especially in central and northern Europe, towns started where monasteries appeared.

10:14 AM  
Blogger beez said...

Fr.:

Based on your advice, I went to see "The Great Silence" (forgive me, but my High School and College German kicked in on the title :) )

It was an awesome film and I just spent the three hours wondering about the incredible grace that would lead a man to such a asetic life.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.