April 12, 2007

The “Easter Hymn” from the opera, “Cavalleria rusticana,” by Pietro Mascagni



Inneggiamo, il Signor non è morto.
Ei fulgente ha dischiuso l'avel.
Inneggiamo al Signore risorto—
oggi asceso alla gloria del Ciel!


Let us sing hymns, the Lord is not dead.
Shining, He has unsealed the tomb,
Let us sing hymns to the risen Lord—
ascended today to the glory of Heaven


Now … here’s a film version (directed by Franco Zeffirelli) with the addition of the “Regina caeli” that preceeds it in the opera. It appears to have been filmed in an actual Catholic village, with all the “props” being real religious cultural items used for village processions on Easter. It has the looks of a real procession with some real piety rather than “staged”.



One more version.



Watch all three.

I looked for the second and third clips on YouTube.com.

That was after I saw the first clip on “Idle Speculations.”
Click HERE for it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Estefanía said...

Thank you, Fr. Stephanos.. This hymn is so beautiful, especially the second clip. (What is the name of the movie?)

Hopefully, I´ll hear it in a concert soon.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

The movie has the same name as the opera, "Cavalleria rusticana." Franco Zeffirelli directed it.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Kit-Kat said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I was thinking about this piece as I was getting ready to go to the Easter Vigil, but sadly (and shockingly for me) I don't have a recording of this to listen to! This has fulfilled my minimum daily recommended dose of beauty for today!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the Easter Hymn (I used to be in an amateur operatic society and I sang it many years ago - although not the solo, I was just in the chorus!) and I thought the Zeferelli clip is lovely. It's inspired me to go hunting for the full version! Unfortunately, the third clip came up with "video unavailable", so I couldn't see it.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.