November 28, 2007

VINCENT ARONG (son of a first degree cousin) in the house cassock of the Pontifical North American College in Rome

UPDATED, since the man in question has been in the news! See the end of this post.

It turns out several of my blog-readers know of or have met my nephew. In the Filipino culture, the son of a cousin is classified as my nephew.

That is the uniform of North American diocesan seminarians in Rome.

He is in his second year of theological study. I believe his school is the Gregorian University. In Rome, a "college" is a residence, not a school. So, the North American College is not a school, but a residence for diocesan seminarians of the U.S.A.

He is a candidate for priestly ordination for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.

The update?
Click HERE for it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing this Father. BTW, in the Peruvian culture, we consider our first cousin's children our nieces and nephews too.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Fr Stephanos, does that mean you are known as "Tito Step" to your nephews and nieces?

Or do they call you by your pre-monastic name?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

I was baptized as "Camilo".

Nieces and nephews have usually called me "Uncle Milo."

Vincent and I have never met in person. He probably has heard relatives refer to me as his "Uncle Milo."

The only contact between Vincent and me over the years has been e-mail in which I have always been "Father Stephanos."

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, the guy's like Fr. Whinder [infamous non-blogging priest of the English Catholic Blogosphere]:

http://blogs.chron.com/dinardo/2007/11/a_houston_seminary_student_is.html

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Bob Farrell said...

Is there any chance we will be able to read about some of the humorous situations your nephew likely encountered as the Cardinals line enforcer?

10:39 AM  
Anonymous MM said...

yeah I think most Asian cultures are like that too.

Parents' cousins = our aunts/uncles
etc etc

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.