May 03, 2007

On the third day . . .

. . . back in the monastery, that is.

Being able to go the the abbey church early for Mass, and enjoy PRAYERFUL SILENCE.

Being able to enjoy time after Mass IN PRAYERFUL SILENCE.

It's a breath of fresh air.

The monastery is on a hill two miles from the Pacific Ocean, and we get a good ocean breeze.

Walking between my monastic cell, the abbey church (several times a day for prayers and Mass), the refectory (monks' dining room) and other places on the grounds, I'm getting a lot of exercise.

Today at Mass, we had a guest priest concelebrate with us: Fr. Joseph Langford, M.C. (Missionaries of Charity). He was one of the two priests who helped Blessed Teresa of Calcutta start up the priestly branch of the Missionaries of Charity. They opened their "first" seminary less right next door across the Mexican border. My monastery has developed a good relationship with them over the years.

While Blessed Teresa was still alive, one of the Missionaries of Charity gave me a hair of Blessed Teresa as a way of thanking me for some consultative information I provided. A FIRST CLASS RELIC while she was still alive! And now it's STILL a first class relic while she's now in heaven!


6 Comments:

Blogger beez said...

envy is a sin...
envy is a sin...
envy is a sin...

As a devotee of Bl. Theresa, I am very happy for you to have this wonderful relic!

I'm curious, as a monk priest at the Abbey, what is your day like now, compared to your time at a parish?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

First, for a basic description of the structure of daily life in my monastery, please:
monks.blogspot.com

At the parish, the only thing on the daily schedule is Mass; and I didn't have the public Mass every day. On those days when I wasn't schedule to preside at the parish weekday Mass I could either concelebrate with the priest who was scheduled to preside, or I could just go into the convent chapel on the property and celebrate Mass anytime.

If you look at the monastery schedule I posted at monks.blogspot.com, you'll see that our day is organized around the Liturgy of the Hours and the Mass.

11:09 AM  
Blogger beez said...

kool... thanks!

It's amazing that you're able to have such a contemplative life. I'm applying to the diocese for formation, but as a diocesan.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Bob Farrell said...

I think many lay folk that attend daily mass have a similar experience in the contrast with their experiences at Sunday mass. Daily Mass tends to be somewhat contemplative while Sunday mass tends to be uh...uh...uh...very active (hectic seems a bit harsh).

I was being distracted once at Sunday mass and I prayed that I wish it could be like the daily mass I attend. God told me to quit being so bigoted and find the beauty in the what I percieved to be chaos.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father, does the abbey ever schedule family days? That is, days where families with children might visit wihtout worrying about young ones disturbing the monks and those on retreat?

I've often wanted to visit the abbey, but I'm afraid my children wouldn't be welcome. I would like to attend mass, view the ark, visit the gift shop, poke my head in the library, walk the stations and check out the bees. I'd like to visit at a time when my children could accompany me and ask a million questions along the way.

If this isn't something you do (annually?), perhaps it is something you might consider?

Thanks.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

Families are always welcome to attend Mass here.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.