June 16, 2007

Tagged by the Wingèd Man (thewingedman.wordpress.com)

Meme: Eight Random Things about Me


If you have been tagged for this meme, here are the rules.
1. You start with eight random facts/habits about yourself.

2. You need to write your own blog about your eight things and post these rules.

3. At the end of your blog, you need to choose and list the names of eight persons to tag.

4. Don’t forget to leave them each a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Abiding by rule 1, here are eight facts/habits about me.
i. My monastic habit. Whenever anyone asks me what I wear underneath my habit, I respond with the following question. “What are you wearing underneath your clothes?”

ii. Habitually inside the pockets of my habit: a rosary, a handkerchief, and a set of keys (one to my cell and the cloister, one to the pipe organ in the abbey church, and one to my mother’s house).

iii. The only item I never remove from my person: a silver crucifix on a silver chain around my neck— underneath whatever I wear underneath my habit.

iv. As a Benedictine monk, I have made the vow of stability, uniting me to one specific monastery for life. Together with a permanent room in the monastery, the dark side of the vow of stability is that I have the potential for making my cell into a packrat’s nest. I am guilty of being in the process of actualizing that potential.

v. If I had the permission to pick out the one and only chore I would ever have in the monastery, it would be to garden as much as and however I wished.

vi. I eat the same as everyone else, but laboratory blood tests say my good cholesterol is at a level above the average, and my bad cholesterol is at a level below the average. My blood pressure is excellent, and the doctor says I will probably never drop dead from a stroke or a heart attack.
That means
I get
to die
s-l-o-w-l-y.
I don’t know if I prefer it that way. Maybe I’d rather drop instantly dead when I’m good and ready.

vii. Whenever I’m traveling or just out in town running errands for the monastery, I always get asked, “Did anyone ever tell you that you look like Colin Powell?”

viii. One of the priests who belongs to the Missionaries of Charity (the order Mother Teresa of Calcutta founded) gave me a hair of Mother Teresa while she was still alive. I keep it inside a folded piece of paper inside a wooden box on my bookshelf.


Regarding Rule 2. I obeyed it already.

In Compliance with Rule 3.
i. Blessed Mary Ever Virgin.
ii. Blessed Michael the Archangel.
iii. Blessed John the Baptist.
iv et v. The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul.
vi. Holy Benedict the Father of Monks.
vii. Holy Stephanos the First Martyr
viii. Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.

Rule 4 doesn’t say where to leave the comment for the persons I tag. I choose to leave the comment RIGHT HERE: “I have tagged the eight of you, and ask you to read my blog.”

There! I have technically obeyed the rules of this meme.

What would happen if I “broke” a meme? Is it like those chain letters? Would bad luck befall me? Even though I have a first class relic of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta?


6 Comments:

Anonymous JV said...

No Jubilee Medal of St. Benedict on your personage?

(I'm a big fan of it)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Father Stephanos, O.S.B. said...

I have one with the keys.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous dino said...

No hairshirt?

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Marie said...

Thomas Merton, in one of his books (I think it's Seven Story Mountain) says that monks wear medieval underwear.

2:46 AM  
Blogger RobK said...

I could see a Colin Powell connectionrks. :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger tara said...

How Clever! The meme facts were fun to read. Passing on chain letters and the such are such a pet-peeve of mine--I liked your solution to "passing on" this meme.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Click HERE to go back to the front page of this blog.